Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Luggage Tags

I go to a weekend retreat for Girl Scout Leaders in our Council every fall and one of the activities always I participate in is a secret buddy swap. I like to make some of my gifts for the secret buddy swap, since we have a $9 limit.

This weekend I sat down to stamp and I made a rule for myself: that I could only use scraps and materials that had retired that I had left from other years or things that were about to retire that I hadn't used up yet. While I was reorganizing my stamp room, I rediscovered some badge holders that I bought at an office supply store, so I decided to use those to make a luggage tag for my secret buddy. I tend to end up rushing around at the last minute making these gifts, so I am trying to stay ahead of myself this year. I do this with Christmas cards and gifts, too. My husband always kindly points out that Christmas comes at the same time every year, so why am I never prepared?

For my tag I used Whisper White card stock and the soon to be retired Almost Amethyst Prints DSP (it's on the back), Seeing Spots and Taffy Alpha tamp sets; Almost Amethyst and Chocolate Chip Classic Ink; Regal Rose, Apricot Appeal and Certainly Celery Stampin' Write Markers. Sweet Shop Ribbon Originals (retired); and White and Celery Grosgrain ribbon (okay, this broke my rule, but I need to add it). Since I don't know who my secret buddy will be until after I get to the retreat, I made a tag that said "mine".

I had so much fun making this tag, that I made several more: for my daughter, for my friends that I stay with at the retreat and one for myself. On mine I broke the rules again and used the new Bella Rose DSP. I just love that paper. I stamped on one side and then since the paper is double sided, the back is a different pattern! Elizabeth doesn't fit on the tag. I guess I could have used a smaller alphabet, but I just got this one so I wanted to play with it. I have been meaning to make a luggage tag for me for a while because we bought a set of luggage a few years ago, but it only came with one luggage tag! So if I use both suitcases, one doesn't have an ID tag on it. Plus, this will be a lot easier to spot on all those bags that look exactly the same!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi! I just discovered your blog and your luggage tags! What a cute idea! I'm in Las Vegas with my husband right now while he attends a conference. I wonder if I can get him to pick up any "leftover" name tags when the conference is over!!! I attended the Girl Scout leaders campout in our area (Missouri) too and loved it! My girls are in college now -- stamping had to take the place of Scouts!