Friday, October 24, 2008

Two Month Warning

Christmas is two months from tomorrow! Are you ready? I'm not! I have to say that this is probably the latest I have ever started my Christmas Cards, but I am going to buckle down and get them done as soon as I can.

This year I am trying to be frugal with my cards. I have so many supplies that I am just going to use what I have. Since we have more than 100 friends and family on our Christmas card list that means that I will be making more than one card design. I do have two cards designed already, but I can't show them to you, since that would spoil it for my friends and family who read my blog! And since we're taking about cards, I thought I would share some of my tips for stamping multiple cards.

-Design then cut. Once you have your card designed, figure out how many cards you need and cut everything at once.

-Use your supplies to the max. When you are designing, think about how you can cut your paper so that you have as little waste as possible. For example, this year I am using designer paper that comes in 12x12 sheets, so I am using a 3x4 piece on my card so that I am using all of the sheet for my cards. Similarly, one of my cards uses a 2 inch square of Whisper White card stock, so I will cut those pieces from a 12x12 sheet rather than an 8 1/2 x 11 sheet to eliminate any scraps.

-Keep your card as flat as possible. I have noticed lately that the post office has gotten stricter about charging additional postage for thick or lumpy cards. The extra postage is 17 cents per card, so in my case that would be an extra $17 or more to mail my cards.

-Create an assembly line. Do each step for all of your cards before moving on to the next step. It takes a lot more time to stamp and assemble each card individually than to make them assembly line style. You may even be able to get your kids or spouse to help you.

-Work while you wait. When I am making multiple cards, I do all of the cutting and stamping and anything else that I MUST do in my stamp room and then I do every thing else (the coloring, cutting out stamped images and assembly) while I am watching TV, riding in the car, or waiting (at the doctor, in the carpool line, etc).

If you haven't already, make sure that you have planned for the cards and gifts you are going to make this Holiday Season. This is the first year that I need to make teacher gifts, so I have to add that to my list! Some other people to think about making gifts for:
Holiday Party Hostesses
Co-workers/Bosses (yours and your spouse's)
Volunteers that work with you kids (Scout Leaders, Coaches, etc.)
Babysitters

Next week I'll have projects that you can make to give as gifts, so check back for some great ideas!

No comments: