Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Message Center

I had a booth at a craft fair this past weekend and this message board is one of the things I had for sale. It was simple to make and would be a great Christmas gift!




I got the idea for this project while browsing in the craft store. I found a pack of three canvas boards for (I think) $3.99. The canvas board is flat, but you could use a regular canvas on a frame, too. They would just be more expensive.

Here's what you need for the project:

Canvas board (mine was 12 in x 9 in)

Adhesive (I used a combination of Yes glue, Mod Podge, Sticky Strip, Tombow Multipurpose adhesive and hot glue)

Scrapbook paper

Ribbon

Cork (I used a 4 x 4 square)

Note pad

Stickers, stamps, and embellishments

Crop-A-Dile

Because the board was 12x9 and I wanted to wrap the paper around the board I used two sheets of paper. I coated the board with Yes glue which is a book binding glue. I have had mine for probably five years and I bought it at the local scrapbook store which was the only place I could find it back then, but I think I have seen it at Michael's more recently. Yes glue is really thick so I used a plastic spoon to spread it on the canvas and then smoothed it out with a foam brush. I placed the paper on top with 1 inch hanging over the edges. At this point I set them aside to dry for a few hours.

Once they were dry, I used the Tombow adhesive to glue the overhanging paper to the back of the canvas board. I used clothespins to hold down the edges until they dried.



Once the paper is dry on the back you can embellish the board as you like. There was a slight gap between the two papers, so I used Sticky Strip (aka red tape) to attach a piece of 5/8 inch grosgrain ribbon over the seam. I also used Sticky Strip to attach a small piece of ribbon that went from under where the note pad will be around to the back. There should be enough room to put a pen under the ribbon.

I hot glued a cork square to the board as well as a note pad. The note pads are sold at the office supply store as Scratch Pads and the ones I bought were sold in a pack of 12.

I spelled out "Notes" using felt letter stickers and created a flower embellishment using paper and a brad.

I punched holes in the top corners with my Crop-A-Dile and threaded more 5/8 inch grosgrain through for the hanger. I used Sticky Strip to attach the ends of the ribbon to the back.

I decided to hot glue one of many clips that I've had around for ages to the bottom of the board. I think it's called a Bulldog Clip. I found mine years ago in the clearance bin at the office supply store.

Once I was finished decorating my board, I used Mod Podge to adhere an 11 7/8 x 8 7/8 piece of Kraft cardstock to the back just to make it look pretty.

1 comment:

Mod Podge Amy said...

What a cute little board! I love it!